The sixth episode of our new podcast series Live from the Space Shed is now live! Please subscribe at Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Google Play or wherever you get your podcasts, rate (FIVE STARS, obvs) and spread the word!
For this episode we were back in the Faraway Forest at Latitude Festival with Rupert Read representing for Extinction Rebellion. Rupert is an Associated Professor of Philosophy at the University of East Anglia, an author, a blogger, and – most passionately – a climate and environmental campaigner. Throughout 2019 he has frequently been a spokesperson for Extinction Rebellion and is a member of their political liaison team, meeting with senior politicians from across the political spectrum. He has represented Extinction Rebellion on national radio and television, including on Radio 4’s Today Program and on the BBC’s Politics Live. On this occasion, Rupert found himself in a Shed, in a forest, being interviewed by a man wearing an orange spacesuit and too much glittery eyeliner.
In this episode Rupert explains:
• why space travel is terrible for the planet
• how space travel and science fiction can help us save the planet
• why civilisation is likely to collapse because of climate breakdown
• what ‘civilisation collapse’ even is
• how Extinction Rebellion is leading the fight to prevent climate breakdown and civilisation collapse
• what each of us can do to get involved and fight climate breakdown
and answers questions including:
• what should corporations be doing to prevent climate breakdown?
• isn’t the UK doing loads already? Isn’t it other countries that need to step up?
• how do we fight this while we have powerful leaders like Donald Trump who don’t believe in climate change?
• why does the UK media not highlight this problem ALL THE TIME?
• how do you talk to people who aren’t yet committed to fighting climate breakdown?
• what is your view on whether or not Extinction Rebellion should target Heathrow?
• when will I be able to afford to change my boiler?
All of which was excellently stimulating (and occasionally terrifying) fun. Enjoy!
Rupert on Twitter @GreenRupertRead
Rupert’s website rupertread.net
Rupert’s viral video with more than 250,000 views This Civilisation is Finished: so what is to be done?
Jon Spooner with Rupert Read at Latitude 2019